Friday, November 03, 2006

Does Gay Marriage Threaten My Marriage?

So, gay marriage is a threat to heterosexual marriage? Hmm, I'm trying to think. Am I going to leave my wife and run off with a man because I'm suddenly allowed to marry another man? Given my difficulty not to stare at every young coed who walks around the college campus where I teach, I doubt it. I'm heterosexual, I like women. I like how they look, how they feel, how they make me feel. I came home from work today upset and angry about something that happened. I just wanted to crawl in bed with my wife and be held and comforted. OK, we had sex too, but I was really into it for the cuddling.

My point is, straight people's marriages are in no danger from gay marriages. Personally, I'm more offended by the promiscuity in the gay community. I think we need to engage the same social structures of society that help hold straight marriages together in holding gay and lesbian relationships together. (Of course, how well is that working with a 50+% divorce rate? Well, it was a good thought anyway.

No comments: